Monday, November 19, 2012

Patience!

My regular physical exercise includes cardio and weight/resistance work.  I wonder if negotiating with A-One also gives my mind a mental workout.  My father-in-law commented once after A-One spent some holidays with them, "A-One is such a blessing. He really teaches you patience!"

After feeling despondent on Friday, I stepped back a little for A-One to choose his own time for brain training over the weekend (only Lumosity, no clocks).  In the context of WOW, we had some discussions about agreeing with others to do things at or by a certain time.  A-One understands the concept, ably articulating the courtesies about time commitments when playing WOW with others.

So how do we help him translate that to real life! I am endeavouring to incorporate some sense of timing/planning in our work together.  That is probably the most disabling of his cognitive impairments when it comes to his employability.

Anyway, he completed his brain training on his own for both days, again improving his overall Brain Performance Index (BPI).

This morning, he arose, completed his morning jobs and went straight to his brain training - again on his own.  I was on the treadmill when he came out beaming, "I've just unlocked the next level in the cafe game!"  We looked at his results, and his BPI chart rose more steeply today - yay!

Before we took up the clocks again:

Mum: I'll be finished my exercise in about 20 minutes, then we can get on to the clocks again.  This time we'll add a second hand.

A-One: Why do I need to do that?  Second hands aren't important to telling the time!

Mum: Mostly, that's true.  The clocks exercise isn't just about telling the time.  It's about exercising that part of your brain so that you can understand concepts and ideas better.  When you read something, you can read it very well, but you don't always understand what you are reading.  This exercise will help you understand what you read better.


I'm basing this on Barbara Arrowsmith-Young's experience where, after 3 months of doing increasingly complex clock exercises, she was able to read philosophy and understand it!

I had added seconds to the same exercises that he had done with just 2 hands, but kept the old exercises out of sight.  We started by looking at the second hand of a clock, so that he could count the 60 seconds around the clock for a minute.  Once he got the hang of that, he managed the first page of clocks pretty well.  I observed that for every clock he counted in fives around the clock for the second hand.

A-One: That's all I'm doing today!

What A-One doesn't know yet is that I plan to incorporate some comprehension testing into our program.  I may use a book of short stories, and start with a single paragraph, asking him what he thinks the key point is and what the story may be about.

No comments:

Post a Comment