Monday, November 26, 2012

Clocks are only for telling the time!

A-One duly completed his Lumosity training this morning.  He gained a new personal best for the flexibility game which requires him to recognise shapes, but continues to plateau (down actually) on memory and problem solving.  His speed is now over the 40th percentile, memory and attention up around the 20th percentile, but problem solving remains doggedly around the 2nd percentile. Overall he is over the 14th percentile for his age group.

When I mentioned moving on to the clocks and reading comprehension:

A-One: No! I know the clocks! I don't need to do any more clocks!

Mum: The next stage is to add a 4th hand.

A-One: No! I'm not doing any more clocks!

Mum: You realise it's about training that part of your brain that is good not just for reading clocks, but for other things too?

A-One: No! I don't need to do that!

Mum: OK. Well let's move on to some reading.

A-One: No! I don't need to do that either!

Mum: The reading this morning is different from last week's.  (I had planned to use the first paragraph from the Inquirer section of The Weekend Australian.)

A-One: No! My reading's OK.

Mum: Do you realise why we're doing this?  To improve your chances of getting a job so that you can keep yourself - especially after we're gone? What will you do then?

A-One: I don't know. I don't want to talk about it anymore!  Stop trying to make me do it!

A-One immediately brought up RuneScape and started telling me more about a feature that he'd pointed out to me yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment