Friday, November 16, 2012

I don't need to turn the music off!

I noticed that A-One was still up at his computer at 2:37am this morning, and he still had some washing up after dinner to do which would make his going to bed time even later (not an unusual occurrence)!  Again I had no idea what time he went to bed.


So this morning when I had some other things to do, I let him sleep - to give him the best chance of working well on brain training after adequate sleep.  (He had done the washing up.)

Late morning my husband called and after a brief conversation I mentioned that I was about to wake A-One.  'Good luck', he said.



A-One rose willingly enough and we talked about his next steps for today: breakfast, shower, dress, brain training.  He came down for breakfast and turned on a James Bond movie while he ate (including last night's uneaten dinner).  When I saw his empty plate, I reminded him about the next step.  He decided he'd shower later at his 'usual' time.  I asked him to give me a hoy when he was dressed.

After about 15 minutes (or so it seemed to me) I called out to him.  'Wait a minute!', he said. Fairly soon though he came downstairs, opting to work in the study today instead of his room.

As we were about to begin, I noticed that he had a YouTube music video playing as he brought up the Lumosity login screen.

Mum: Better turn off the music while you work.     

A-One: I don't need to turn the music off!

Mum: It's important to be free from distractions while you work on your brain training.

A-One: It doesn't distract me.

Mum: How do we know that?

A-One: It doesn't!

Mum: How about we prove that?

A-One: I don't need to turn it off!

Remembering that he had had headphones on for all the other brain training this week, thinking it was to help him hear any sounds related to the brain training, I asked him whether he had had music on the other days.

A-One: Yes.

This revelation put me off balance.  Freedom from distractability is part of being able to stay on task!

Mum: Will you try it without music just for today?

A-One, closing the music clip: There! You happy now?

There were a few more 'stupid' comments today ... the game of course, not A-One!  He did much better on the vowels game now that he knows what they are. He's doing really well with the cafe orders, remembering everyone's name and giving all the correct orders.  The good news is that while some of his scores were not his best, his overall comparative results show no category now in the 1st percentile!  Today, memory and attention showed as his strong areas. 

I Googled for the effect of music on cognitive performance.  Several results came up, a recent one being http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/campuslife/should-you-listen-to-music-while-you-study

So should I argue the case again tomorrow?

I might just ask him what music he plans to listen to, and then our negotiation might be on the choice of music instead.  I imagine that calming instrumental music, rather than music with lyrics might be a better choice, especially when doing any language-based exercises.


No comments:

Post a Comment