Monday, April 8, 2013

Working Memory

I can hardly believe it's been over a month since I blogged about my son A-One's brain training. He has continued doing some, but it hasn't been daily, more like every 4 or 5 days.  His overall score has moved up 5 percentiles during that time:

  • His Speed is now 72nd percentile, with over half of the games having included information processing
  • He cracked 50th percentile for Memory, although only a couple included working memory exercises
  • He moved up 5 percentiles in Attention, but slipped back a couple of percentiles over the last few games played
  • He has moved up almost 12 percentiles in Flexibility
  • Problem Solving stays doggedly around 8-9th percentile, although he has been served up very few problem solving games over the last month
Once A-One had cracked the 50th percentile for Memory, I wanted to include additional working memory games e.g. Dual NBack download because it is a well-known clinically proven peer reviewed exercise for working memory, and is also free.  Roughly speaking, working memory is where you do (manipulate) things in your head e.g. reciting a known telephone number backwards.  A-One has an impairment in this area, and it's a pretty key one for learning.

I chose the downloadable version (there is an online version at Dual NBack online) so that any lack of access to internet would not be an issue.  Although he also does a version of that game in his Lumosity training, he doesn't get working memory games every time he plays, and I'd like to intensify his training in this area.  Cogmed is also a commercially available peer reviewed program for working memory which I had originally thought I'd book him in for, but I wanted to gauge his commitment level before committing funds.

The downloadable version does not have as simple look and feel as the online version, however it is more configurable, and can be set to start more simply than the online version.  Basically, the player has to remember two things (dual) and hit nominated keys when there have been matches from N times ago.  To get him started, I initially set it up for A-One to remember only the previous try (1 Back) instead of the default which is two tries ago (2 Back).  I tried it myself first so that I could explain how to play (for me, the explanation with the game took a few reads through).  He downloaded it happily enough (around 20 March), clearly indicating that he didn't need my help downloading it.

However, when it came to playing it:

A-One: This game is too hard - you have to remember two things.

Mum: Yes, it's difficult at first, but once you get used to it, you'll get the hang of it.

A-One: I'm not doing it.

And he hasn't since ...





No comments:

Post a Comment