Friday, April 19, 2013

CogniFit

I've just had a good look at CogniFit.  And it's fun. I saw it referenced in a Friends of SharpBrains LinkedIn discussion.

It's also in SharpBrains list of vendors to watch in 2013/14 and is based on peer reviewed research, although mainly for aging adults. It includes some very interesting features:
  • You can register for free and get some free 'neurons' which is like a currency
  • You can do an assessment first up to get your profile of cognitive strengths and weaknesses as well as how you compare with others in your age range
  • Cognitive abilities are described at quite a granular level e.g. not just Memory, but working memory, short-term memory, contextual memory
  • You can earn more 'neurons' by training and 'unlock' new games by spending your neurons, or you can purchase more neurons (with real money) to play more
  • You can bet your neurons to win more
  • You can challenge other players
  • The training is tailored based on your assessment
  • It's fun


I hadn't investigated this site in depth before because it's pitched to keeping your mind agile as you age, but I think it would be really good for A-One - especially if we can get some other players for him to play with.  It seems to have incorporated the appeal of online multiplayer games e.g. like WOW and the chance of notching up your 'neurons' to play more.

I'm pretty excited about it as it seems to include a number of features that I've been looking for in relation to A-One, in particular the assessments which can be done at any time, the increased granularity of cognitive abilities including planning, the ability to choose specific games for these, and the ability to play with and challenge others.

I've done several training sessions today and have not had to pay any real money. 

(I started using my mouse left-handed several years ago, mainly to ease some tension that had been developing on the right side of my neck from a highly stressful job.  But for these games today I quickly switched to my right hand because the speed challenge sucked me right in!)

Now the hard part is gaining A-One's willingness to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment