Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Real life changes?

So after a good three months actual time brain training (longer in elapsed time), have there been any changes in real life for A-One?

I'm aware that results of non-blind clinical studies can be biased by the 'want it to happen' factor, and that may apply to me too.  That said, here are my observations of some behaviours over the last month that I haven't noticed before:

With his proposed change of Employment Service Provider, A-One needed to go through Centrelink hoops again, one of which was his Employment Service Assessment interview (previously called Job Capability Assessment or JCA).  I attended with him.  I noted how he reported the challenging feedback that he had received from previous jobs i.e. his variable productivity.  I realise that expressing this played to his verbal communication strength, however he articulated it very well. Also, when I was deciding out loud on a route home he suggested one route over an alternative and was able to back up his suggestion with a reasoned argument.  There's more 'connecting' in two-way conversations than when he was little; conversations were always like two games of ping-pong - he'd always say what he wanted to say regardless of whatever we said to him.

Of late, A-One has participated in more family conversations or discussions:
  • We were watching the news when he ventured an opinion about a news item.  As far as I can recall, that's a first.  The family continued discussing his opinion, including him.
  • 'You're a bit of a nerd' he told his sister amiably one day.  It struck me that he had never made such a comment before.
  • One day when I was urging him to do his brain training he said, 'You know Mum, I'm just not into it as you are.'  While he still frequently invokes the 'I'm not doing it' or 'I will do it' (at some deliberately undefined time), this response was a new one.
  • 'I play WOW because I enjoy it.' While that may seem obvious, he was responding to his sister's question about why he spends so much time at it.  I think the difference was that his tone was less defensive than other times, instead merely a statement about his position.
Or perhaps he is simply growing in confidence and maturity ...

No comments:

Post a Comment