Thursday, April 18, 2013

It takes work to reach your goal

A-One: I know! I know what I have to do Mum!

A-One's response to my urging him to start looking at websites that might guide his efforts in looking for employment. Are his job goals realistic?  What steps to find out more?

I had selected a blog to encourage him to stick with the discipline required to make progress, hoping he'd make the connection with the consistent effort required to make his brain training work, and the work required to find a suitable job.

Mum: What do you think this blog is about?

A-One: It doesn't mean anything to me.

Mum: Well, what did Aristotle say?

A-One read it again: That we are what we repeatedly do.

Mum: And how many hours before you become an expert at anything?

A-One: They reckon 10,000 hours.

Mum: That could be about 5 years.  Is there anything you're an expert at?

A-One: Well, there'd be things I'm pretty good at, but I'm not an expert.

Mum: ... let's move on.  The next thing to look at is this website to help you see if you'd like to have any of these jobs.

A-One selected 'Nature and Recreation' then 'Performing Arts'.  It was the recreation part he was interested in, not nature.  He eventually looked at sound/audio technician.  Then an audiovisual technician.

A-One: I want to work in music, not TV, and music I like.  Like an assistant disc jockey.

Mum: So why don't you Google 'DJ careers' to find out more about it?

A-One: No, I've done enough of this.

Mum: How might you get into the DJ industry if you don't find out more about it, or even if you would like it?  This is the work that it takes.

A-One: I am working at it.

Mum: Do you have 'DJ' set up for any of your job alerts?

A-One: No.  I'm not having this conversation! Stop going on about it!

Mum (sighing): Tomorrow we'll need to work on getting all your papers in order so that you can find your correspondence from Centrelink and to complete your tax return.

I went away, Googled 'DJ careers', and sent him a link which showed a little of what customers like in a DJ.  Later I asked him, do you think you'd like to do that, be like that?

A-One: Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment